PR and Social Media (Sports) Internship
We are looking for an energetic individual with good copywriting skills, an interest in sports or the charity sector and a proactive approach to work.
What will I be doing?
- Speaking to supporters to source human interest stories that can be used in our supporter communications, social platforms and by our regional PR team.
- Collaborating with the Talent Team to recruit celebrity runners for the Virgin London Marathon 2017 and using them to drive media coverage for Cancer Research UK.
- The Sports Team have recently launched a new Twitter profile #CRUKChallengers. You will be drafting tweets for this and looking at how to develop our presence and increase our following.
- Suggesting new content ideas for our social channels so that we are engaging as best we can with our supporters.
- Writing content for our Cancer Research UK Challengers Facebook page.
- Attending Sports Events with the team (up to 4 weekend days).
What skills will I gain?
- Developing your copy writing skills for print and social platforms
- Project management skills
- Understanding how to talk to supporters in an emotive and supportive manner
- Interpersonal skills by collaborating with teams across the charity
What skills do I need?
- Strong written and interpersonal skills
- The ability to be innovative and creative
- Emotional intelligence to be able to speak with supporters
- Ability to take responsibility and complete tasks under pressure on multiple projects
- Confidence using various social media platforms
- Passionate about developing your Press/PR skills and experience
- A valid driver’s license is desirable, but not essential
Why we need you
The Sports Team work with people taking part in third party mass participation running, swimming, cycling and triathlon events. Last year over 40,000 supporters took part in these events, raising an amazing £12 million for Cancer Research UK.
We rely on press coverage alongside a strong social media presence to encourage people to raise funds for our vital work, and make us the charity of choice in the sporting field. Cancer Research UK Sports have recently launched a new Facebook page to communicate with our supporters. We're looking for an intern to generate content for this page and help us build a thriving community.
How much time do I need to commit?
Ideally, we would like someone who can commit to 3 - 4 days a week for 12 weeks, but we would try to be flexible for the right candidate and would consider a day a week working from home.
Where will I be based?
You will be based at our head office in Islington, London
How do I apply?
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.