Marketing and Promotions (Volunteer Fundraising) Internship (South England)
We’re looking for a bright, organised and enthusiastic intern who is keen to develop their marketing and promotion skills to help us launch and promote an exciting new music festival event as well as develop our regional social media presence.
What will I be doing?
- Using your local knowledge to promote and market an exciting new music festival for 2017 – Gig for Life
- Promoting the launch of the event and assisting with the marketing of it
- Researching local media opportunities and finding creative ways of getting media support
- Keeping up to date with the central Cancer Research UK social media handle, creating new social media content and reposting content to the local social accounts on a weekly basis
- Spreading the latest news about events, as well as engaging followers with Cancer Research UK’s latest news stories and campaigns
- Spotting opportunities to boost the number of local followers we have on Facebook and Twitter
- Collaborating with the event organisers to identify new stories and case studies and bringing these to the attention of the local media
- Coming up with creative ways to promote the event and drive ticket sales
- Using social media to find new fundraising opportunities in our area
What skills will I gain?
- Gaining insight and experience within the event management, marketing and promotions industry
- Research skills in a fast moving, corporate fundraising context
- Interpersonal skills by liaising with our partners, the wider department and other internal teams within the charity, as well as liaising with local media organisations
- Developing knowledge of the Cancer Research UK brand and how to operate within our brand guidelines
- Experience of managing social media pages for a prestigious charity
What skills do I need?
- As this is a regional internship based from home, you’ll need to be confident with your own time management and demonstrate that you’re a motivated self-starter
- Creativity and the ability to think innovatively and strategically
- Strong organisational skills
- Good written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building relationships with staff and stakeholders
- Experience in using Facebook and Twitter, including scheduling posts and interacting with followers
- An interest in fundraising and in collaborating with corporate partners
- An interest in marketing and promotional work
Why we need you
The South East Volunteer Fundraising Team works with a range of supporters locally to raise funds for Cancer Research UK’s life-saving work. As a part of the wider Volunteer Fundraising department, the team provides support to drive income by developing relationships and managing our corporate partners.
We’d like you to make some important contributions to our team through your marketing and promotional skills, particularly using social media to promote this exciting new Music Festival, Gig for Life, to drive ticket sales and be part of this brand new project. Previous interns have made a hugely positive impact on the growth of our income stream and we’re looking for our next intern to continue this trend.
How much time do I need to commit?
Ideally, we’d like someone who can commit to 4 days a week for 12 weeks, but the scheme is flexible and this can be discussed on a 1 to 1 basis.
Where will I be based?
You will be volunteering from home, and as the event is to be held in Paddock Wood, ideally you will be based in Kent or have knowledge of the area. You’ll need a suitable place to work, as well as access to a laptop/PC, phone and the internet. In this role you will attend meetings in the regional office in Horsham, and work closely on projects with our other interns who will be based in our head office in Islington, London.
How do I apply?
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.