Events Management (Sports) Internship
We would like an organised, hard-working and enthusiastic individual with an interest in sports events and volunteer management to volunteer in our team.
What will I be doing?
- Engaging local community groups and businesses with our volunteering opportunities at various sport events such as the Prudential Ride London and Great North Run
- Assisting with volunteer communications, such as briefs and monthly newsletters, to ensure our audience are kept engaged and well informed
- Managing our event day material requirements
- Analysing our volunteer recruitment strategy and coming up with innovative ways to increase volunteer numbers
- Assisting the team with logistical plans and ‘on the day’ activities for our Spring events
- Developing teamwork and project management skills by volunteering alongside the other Sports team interns on a group project
- Carrying out an independent project to improve volunteer recruitment
What skills will I gain?
- Leadership and teamwork skills
- Project management skills, such as prioritising and meeting deadlines
- Events logistics
- Relationship building by collaborating with volunteers and other members of the Sports team
- Time management skills
What skills do I need?
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Creativity and the ability to think outside the box
- Strong written communication skills
- A valid driver’s license is desirable, but not essential
Why we need you
The Sports Team works with people taking part in third party running, swimming, cycling and triathlon events such as the Virgin Money London Marathon and Bupa Great Run series. Last year over 30,000 supporters took part raising an amazing £9.5 million for Cancer Research UK.
With a saturated charity market in sports events, we need to ensure our ‘On the Day’ experience encourages supporters to fundraise for us again and again. From liaising with event organisers and volunteers to deciding on the look and feel of Cancer Research UK’s presence at events, you'll be responsible for project managing some of the biggest events in the Sports Team calendar.
Our goal is to further establish Cancer Research UK as the charity of choice in the sporting field. With our event portfolio continually growing, this is an exciting role with a lot of scope for using your own ideas and initiative to improve our supporter recruitment process and on the day experience.
This role would suit someone looking to develop their project management and communications skills, in an events volunteering role.
How much time do I need to commit?
Ideally, we would like someone who can commit to 4 days a week for 12 weeks, but the scheme is flexible and this can be discussed on a 1 to 1 basis. There will also be the opportunity to attend one of event days which are typically on a Sunday.
Where will I be based?
You will be based at our head office in Islington, London, although the option of working from home can be discussed at interview if you need the internship to fit around existing commitments.
How do I apply?
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.