Event Volunteer - Cancer Research UK Winter Run 2017 - 4th February 2018
Start your volunteering now!
Why we need you!
The London Winter Run needs enthusiastic, proactive and practical individuals, who are prepared to be placed in a variety of roles, as required, at the event. If you want to be part a major London sporting event and all whilst supporting the vital work of Cancer Research UK then this is the role for you!
What skills do you need?
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- A willingness to work as part of a team
- Enthusiasm and a pro-active attitude
- A flexible approach
- Be physically active as some areas of this role may involve some lifting, standing, walking about etc
What will you be doing?
Event roles will include:
Meet and Greet:
- We are looking for happy, friendly and enthusiastic volunteers for our meet and greet team!
- You will be the first Cancer Research UK London Winter Run members of staff that our participants meet when they arrive in Westminster on event day - and the last face they see when they have finished the event and are looking to head home!
- This is a really fulfilling role as you will get to meet hundreds of our runners and have the chance to welcome them to London, put a smile on their face and get them motivated for their run!
- Ideally we would like you to have a good knowledge of London and how to get around so that you can advise and direct our participants on how to get to the Event Village from a particular tube station and how to get home for example.
Helping With The Management Of The Start
- We need enthusiastic and friendly volunteers who can join our start team to motivate and inspire all of our runners before they set off on their 10k challenge.
- You will need to communicate and help control the flow our 15,000 runners to the start line so that they start in the right place and at the right time and with a smile on their face!
Welcoming Back Runners Into The Finish Area
- We need all singing all dancing happy, cheering, loud volunteers to welcome our runners across the finish line and to congratulate them on their achievement.
- You will be adorning our runners with medals and making sure they get a well-deserved hug from our Polar Bear Hug Squad.
Helping Out At The Baggage Drop Off / Collection Area
- As the event is in the middle of winter, this role is crucial as most of the runners will arrive with a bag.
- This area needs to be looked after by a dedicated team of friendly, switched on volunteers who can help to run the baggage area like clockwork!
- You will be our eyes and ears on the course. Positioned at key points around the run route, you’ll help direct our runners in the right direction and all whilst cheering them on and keeping them motivated. So you will need to be loud and energetic no matter what the weather!
- You may also be located at key crossing points across the route to ensure that members of the public can safely cross the route. For this you will need to be confident, friendly and be prepared to use your voice!
- This is where our runners can grab a quick drink and maybe a moments rest so we need a team of friendly, welcoming volunteers to support our runners when they need it most, and to keep them feeling positive and get them back running again.
How much time do you need to commit?
Your shift will be a maximum of 8 hours, but most will likely be shorter depending on the location and role you are given and the area in which you will work. A rough idea of shift times for the event will be from 07.00 – 14.00.
However please note we will not know the exact shift timings until nearer the event date and so more accurate information will be given to you by the event volunteer team.
What support will you be given?
A member of the team will be in touch before the event to send you a full briefing about your role. A team leader will brief, guide, support and work closely with you on the day at the event.
What are the benefits?
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are making a valuable contribution to the event that is helping to raise vital funds to support the life-saving work of Cancer Research UK
- The opportunity to develop communication and event skills
- Experience working at a major central London sporting event!
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being a part of our team
- The knowledge that you will have made a positive impact and provided invaluable support, improving the experience of participants and spectators
How do I sign up?
To sign-up, simply fill in our quick online registration form
We look forward to welcoming you to the team!
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.