Candle of Hope Chair - Relay For Life South East London (BR1-BR6)
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is an overnight community event that celebrates cancer survivors, remembers those lost and rallies everyone to fight back so we can bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. Each Relay is a community-led, non-athletic event where teams set up camp and take it in turns to walk around a track for up to 24 hours to signify that ‘cancer never sleeps’.
We are on the lookout for a warm and compassionate individual who is capable of planning and leading the Candle of Hope Ceremony; a dedication in celebration of a loved one who currently has cancer or in remembrance of someone who has died from cancer.
This is a unique and rewarding volunteer opportunity which reminds us of the importance of our part in Relay.
What will you be doing?
- Organising and developing engaging and creative content for the Candle of Hope ceremony. You should consider inspirational poetry, emotive songs and motivational speakers
- Leading a team of volunteers to help you plan and coordinate activity prior to and on the day of the Relay
- Maintaining an accurate record of each candle dedicated and all monies received
The type of person we are looking for
Are you someone self motivated and creative who can think outside the box? You will have a positive yet sensitive approach and the ability to work closely and build relationships with other committee members to create a memorable experience for all involved.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to locate the venue and facilities
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to attend an initial training/induction day. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life Committee meetings, these will most likely be monthly and then weekly as the Relay gets closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other committee members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. venue site visits, committee meetings etc.
Please fill in our online form. If you have any questions, please contact Claire Cullen, your Local Fundraising Manager, via Claire.Cullen@cancer.org.uk or 07918 166172.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.