Accounting Chair - Relay For Life Maidstone
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is a year-round team fundraising challenge bringing communities together to beat cancer.
Teams of friends and family fundraise for life-saving cancer research, then join a 24-hour celebration showing that together we are stronger than cancer.
We are on the lookout for a savvy numbers guru to be the next Accounting Chair for your local Relay For Life. If you’re motivated, organised and familiar with accountancy systems, this the role for you! The Accountancy Chair makes an enormous contribution to the success of a Relay event and to the total amount of lifesaving funds raised from each event.
What will you be doing?
- Maintaining accurate and up to date financial records including banking and acknowledging donations
- Working closely alongside the Event Chair to monitor team expenditure, and take a coordinated approach to ensure your Relay does not exceed its expenditure targets.
- Promoting the benefits of online giving and Gift Aid to participants via the Team Chair
- Checking in the teams on day at the registration desk
- Arranging a secure area to count and keep money at the Relay venue. Ensuring a logical receipting and accounting process for any on the day donations
- Announcing the top fundraisers and awarding them prizes at the end of the Relay
- Reporting to Cancer Research UK at specific times throughout the year
The type of person we are looking for
We are looking for a self motivated and organised Accounting Chair who can work accurately and thoroughly using Cancer Research UK’s accountancy documents. You will have a calm and collected approach and will be comfortable and willing to recruit others to help you with counting donations. IT skills are desirable as you will be required to access details of online donations. If you already have some cash handling and accountancy experience, then fantastic!
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events and accountancy processes
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet local like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Help raise the profile of Cancer Research UK in your local area
- Development and support on your accountancy, event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to complete our online training modules using the Learn for Life platform. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life meetings. These will most likely be monthly, as the Relay gets closer, these may become weekly with responsibility intensifying as the Relay draws closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other Relay group members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. team recruitment, bank nights, meetings etc.
Register your interest and your Local Fundraising Manager will contact you to tell you more about our Relays and find out more about your skills, experience and motivations.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.