Drug Discovery Project Grants
Project grant applications in drug discovery will be assessed by the Drug Discovery Expert Review Panel, a sub-panel of the Science Committee. The Drug Discovery Expert Review Panel will consider project grant applications that directly develop research for patient benefit, improving the likelihood of research eventually leading to a new preventative, therapeutic or biomarker entity by:
- Establishing a project plan, which charts a route to developing research findings.
- Funding of the project plan to achieve specific milestones and endpoints.
- Management and monitoring of the project by the charity and Cancer Research Technology (CRT) to achieve goals within agreed timescales.
What is covered
Drug discovery project grants provide funding for milestone-driven research for up to 2 years in the following areas:
- Target validation
- Discovery of therapeutic or preventative entities using:
- Structure-based drug design
- Hit-to-lead and lead optimisation
- Pharmacological studies
- Complementary biomarker studies to support drug discovery
- Development of technologies for drug discovery
Applications will be accepted from scientists, clinicians or healthcare workers in UK universities, medical schools, hospitals and some research institutions.
Period of funding
These project grants are for up to 24 months and usually up to £200,000. Please speak to the office if you would like to submit a larger request.
How to apply
There is a two-stage application process. Outline applications will be reviewed by the Drug Discovery Expert Review Panel before submission of a full application.
Outline applications must be submitted via our electronic Grants Management System (eGMS). See How to Apply for more information on submitting your application via eGMS. Please note that applications are only fully submitted to Cancer Research UK once approved by your host institution administrators.
For details of what is expected in a drug discovery project grant application, and assistance with completing your application, please refer to the Guidelines for preparing a Science Committee drug discovery project grant (PDF, 344KB).
Please note that applications that do not contain the information required, or which are not within the remit of the scheme, will be returned and may be withdrawn. If you are unsure whether your project is appropriate for this scheme, please contact the Science Committee team.
Please contact Paul Wilcock for more information.
|Preliminary submissions||Final submissions||Committee review|
|6 Jun 2013||9 Aug 2013||Oct 2013|