SlideRider™ Event Rules
By registering for a SlideRider™ event (“Event(s)”), you agree to abide by these rules. We may occasionally amend these rules and any changes will be binding on you.
The Event is organised by Cancer Research UK Trading Limited (registered office: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD, registered company number 4355631), a trading company which Gift Aids its taxable profits to Cancer Research UK (and together referred to as ‘CRUK’ throughout these Rules).
If you have any questions, please contact the SlideRider hotline on 0300 123 3025 and a member of our team will be happy to help you.*
- We use different locations for our Events and some of our Events are steeper than others. We always want to keep our participants safe so age and height restrictions will be location dependant. Please refer to the event details and our promotional materials for specific age and height restrictions for your Event.
- Entrants under the age of 18 must have the permission of their parent or legal guardian before registering to take part in an Event.
- Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied at the Event by their parent or legal guardian (or by an over 18 year old who has the permission of that participant’s parent or legal guardian). CRUK reserves the right to refuse entry to an Event, with no refund, to any participant under the age of 16 who is not suitably accompanied.
- CRUK reserves the right to refuse entry to an Event, with no refund, to any participant who is under age, below the required height restriction or unable to provide satisfactory proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
Registration & Entry Fees
- The entry fee will vary depending on the location of the Event and length of slide in operation. Please refer to the event details and promotional materials at your Event for the entry fee for your specific Event.
- Given the limited number of spaces for each Event, all entry fees are non-refundable unless CRUK materially changes an Event in terms of venue or date which means that you are no longer able to attend, or if we cancel an Event altogether.
- Please see the event details and promotional materials at your Event for any discounted entry fees that are available for your Event.
- Payment of an entry fee entitles a participant to use the slide twice.
- Where registration is made online, payment must be made by credit or debit card. Where registration is made at the Event, payment can be made by cash, cheque, credit or debit card and in some instances text. Promotional material at your Event will indicate whether or not registration and payment by text is available.
- For online registrations, your place at an Event (and places for additional participants) will not be confirmed until your payment has been processed and you have received an email from us acknowledging that a place(s) has been saved for you at the relevant Event.
- Participants registering on-line or by text must bring their registration confirmation (either an email or text from CRUK) to the Event so we know they have paid and can issue them with a wristband.
- Entry places are personal to participants and you may not transfer your place to anyone else.
- Some of the Events offer registration on the day. Once you have registered on the day you will be given a wristband. This must be worn on your wrist so organisers know how many slides you have paid for.
- If you fail to wear the wrist band provided to you, you will not be able to participate in the Event (with no refund provided).
- We regret that once you have registered for an Event, you will be unable to transfer to another Event.
- We may offer family tickets for some of the Events. Please refer to the event details and promotional materials at your Event for details about family tickets and the entry fee for family tickets.
- You must be 18 years old or over to purchase a family ticket. A family ticket will entitle the main registrant together with one other adult (18 years old or over) and two children (under the age of 18) to take part in the Event.
- All participants accompanying the main registrant at the Event will need to hand in a fully completed registration form to the registration desk in order to participate in the Event. Once they have registered on the day, they will be given a wristband. This must be worn on their wrists so organisers know how many slides have been paid for. Failure to wear the wrist band provided will mean they will not be able to participate in the Event (with no refund provided).
- Where text registration is available for your Event, participants can enter by texting the keyword/s indicated on site to 80500. Each text message will be charged at the indicated entry fee plus a standard rate text (based on your service provider rates).
- Only one entry place can be reserved from any telephone number. If we receive more than one text message from the same number, no additional entry place shall be reserved but you may still be charged for the additional message(s) at the relevant standard network rate.
- Once we have received a text message from you, we will send a message to that number confirming that your payment has been received. However, if the keyword and/or shortcode are typed incorrectly, or the instructions in these Rules are not followed correctly, we shall be unable to process your entry but you may still be charged for the message at the relevant standard network rate.
- If the relevant mobile phone provider is unable to process payment for any reason, you will need to pay your entry fee using cash or credit card instead.
- You must obtain permission from the bill payer before sending a text message.
- Entrants must be aged 18 years or over to apply to take part in an Event by text message, and entries must be from a UK mobile only. If you are under 18 and apply to enter an Event by text message, we reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event, with no refund.
- CRUK does not accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure, malfunction, congestion, capacity issues or any other problem with any telephone, telephone network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any text being lost, delayed or not properly received and recorded.
- This SMS service is being provided for by Open Market Limited, 15th Floor, 389 Chiswick High Road, Chiswick, London, W4 4AL. If you wish to discuss your mobile payment call 0300 123 1861.
- All participants, volunteers and spectators agree that they are happy for their names and any video footage, stills or photographs taken during the Events to be used by CRUK (and its service providers and agents) to publicise the Events and for commercial and/or fundraising purposes including, but not limited to, television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandise, personalised direct mail and other documents that may be made available to the public.
- No personal details (including names or images) of under 16 year olds will be used in the manner described above by CRUK without the written consent of the child’s parent or legal guardian but CRUK may use images where children are incidentally included.
- Subject to Rule 28 above, by registering a participant under the age of 18 you confirm that the participant’s parent/legal guardian (as applicable) is happy for their images to be used in the manner described in these Rules.
- CRUK may appoint third party photographers to take photographs at the Events. All participants agree that photographs featuring them may be sent to them, to other people featured in those photographs and to children’s parents/legal guardians where children are featured in those photos. Whilst photographers will try to obtain parental/legal guardian’s consent before taking images where children are more than just incidentally included, this cannot be guaranteed.
Use of personal data
- By providing personal data when you register for an Event, you confirm that you consent to such data being used by CRUK for the purposes of organising, staging and administering the Event. If you provide personal data on behalf of an entrant, you confirm that you have obtained their consent (or the consent of their parent or legal guardian where the entrant is under 18) for such data to be used for the same purposes.
- First aid facilities will be provided at the Event. Participants consent to their details (which will be obtained by medical providers if participants are treated by them at an Event) being passed to CRUK. CRUK shall only use these details for administration and health and safety purposes and to fulfil its legal obligations, including those under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013. All medical details will be securely held by CRUK on the CRUK Accident Database.
- In the case of an emergency, participants agree that CRUK may pass the personal details provided by a participant to the emergency services or health care professionals and also use them for the purpose of contacting a participant’s emergency contact.
- Your personal information may also be used for the purpose of sending communications to you where you have confirmed that you would like to receive further information about CRUK’s work when registering for an Event.
- All personal data held by CRUK will be handled in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with CRUK’s privacy statement which can be found here and at our Event registration desks.
- Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are physically able to take part in the Event. Any participant unsure of their physical ability to take part in the Event should take medical advice from a General Practitioner prior to the Event.
- Unfortunately, pregnant women are unable to participate in the Events.
- All participants enter the Events entirely at their own risk. CRUK, its volunteers and employees shall not be liable for any injury, damage or loss howsoever suffered by participants or their property as a result of participation in an Event, other than in respect of death or personal injury arising as a result of CRUK’s negligence.
- Supporters and family members spectate at the Events entirely at their own risk. CRUK shall not be liable for any injury, damage or loss howsoever suffered by spectators or their property at the Events, other than in respect of death or personal injury arising out of CRUK’s negligence.
- CRUK takes all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during fundraising events. There is a stringent risk assessment process in place for each and every Event which aims to minimise or eliminate the risk to everyone taking part. However, by taking part in an Event, you acknowledge that it is potentially hazardous and that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks. If you have any concerns or queries and/or are reconsidering your entry, please contact us before agreeing to take part in an Event.
- Use of our website is subject to CRUK's website terms and conditions.
Cancellation and Postponements
- CRUK reserves the right to postpone and/or cancel any or all of the Events in its sole discretion.
- Any monies raised in connection with the Events are held on trust for Cancer Research UK and must be passed to Cancer Research UK. We ask that you do this as soon as practicable. You can:
- Pay in your sponsorship money online with your credit or debit card on your Just Giving page or call us on 0300 123 0887 with your credit or debit card details; or
- Send cheques made payable to "Cancer Research UK" to: SlideRider™ at Cancer Research UK PO Box 1561, Oxford, OX4 9HX
- You have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received by you for the Event are paid to Cancer Research UK.
- All participants must abide by any rules, instructions and regulations displayed or given on the day of the Event by the Event organiser, Event marshals, police and officials.
- We recommend that participants:
- Come with a friend to hold their possessions whilst the participant slides;
- Remove all jewellery and watches prior to sliding
- Remove items from pockets prior to sliding;
- Wear old clothes that cover their arms and legs and wear appropriate footwear;
- Do not wear anything that they mind getting damp and wet;
- Bring a towel and/or change of clothes
- Participants must be suitably covered up (no nakedness!), and jeans or clothing with studs or belt fittings cannot be worn.
- CRUK can refuse your participation at an Event, with no refund, if you are wearing unsuitable clothes.
- Smoking tobacco products or e-cigarettes is strictly prohibited at the Events. Participants and supporters must refrain from smoking.
- Cancer Research UK respectfully asks that all participants and supporters use the litter and recycling facilities available within the venues.
- CRUK asks that all participants along with their supporters do not use aggressive or abusive language or behaviour towards our organisers and volunteers.
- Any participant that is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs will be refused entry, with no refund, and will not be allowed to participate in the Event.
- Participants will be asked to slide down on the inflatable provided by the Event orgniser. Participants must hold and use the inflatable provided to them by the Event organiser at all times.
- Participants must exit the landing area as quickly and safely as possible with guidance from the Event marshals.
- Participants must return the inflatable provided to them (unless stated otherwise).
- Participants must not run in the slide start and landing area or in any area indicated by the Event Marshal.
- CRUK reserves the right in its sole discretion to refuse participation to an Event, with no refund, if for whatever reason it considers a person to be unsuitably prepared, in an unsuitable condition or unfit to take part.
*Our line is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm. Please note that calls to our hotline may be monitored or recorded to allow us to maintain our standards of customer service.