Find out more about our partnership or activities
The RCGP official position on e-cigarettes was released in partnership with CRUK in 2016.
The recommendations for GPs from the College are:
- GPs provide advice on the relative risks of smoking and e-cigarette use, and provide effective referral routes into stop smoking services.
- GPs engage actively with smokers who want to quit with the help of e-cigarettes.
- Where a patient wants to quit smoking, and has not succeeded with other options, GPs should recommend and support the use of Electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS).
- GPs recognise ENDS offer a wide reaching, low-cost intervention to reduce smoking (especially deprived groups in society and those with poor mental health, both having elevated rates of smoking).
- All GPs encourage smokers who want to use e-cigarettes as an aid to quit smoking to seek the support of local stop smoking services.
ENDS are helpful but stop smoking services are the most successful way to quit smoking.