Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) is the 10th most common cause of cancer death in the UK (2014), accounting for 3% of all cancer deaths.[1-3] In males, it is the 12th most common cause of cancer death in the UK (3% of all male cancer deaths), whilst it is the eighth most common cause of cancer death in females in the UK (3% of all female cancer deaths).[1-3]
In 2014, there were 4,801 NHL deaths in the UK: 2,618 (55%) in males and 2,183 (45%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 12:10.[1-3] The
Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (C82-C86), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||10.0||7.7||7.1||8.2||9.8|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||10.9||10.9||9.5||13.3||10.6|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||6.2||5.2||6.0||5.8||6.3|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||6.8||7.6||7.9||9.5||6.9|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||8.0||6.8||6.8||7.5||7.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||8.5||8.7||8.4||10.5||8.4|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
NHL mortality rates across the UK show some variation by health boundaries for both males and females; however, as with variation in incidence, this is probably associated with differences in registration practices.[4-6]
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/previousReleases.
- Data are provided by Information Services Division (ISD) Scotland on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/vital-events-reference-tables.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here:http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp2.htm.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed at:http://www.ncin.org.uk/cancer_information_tools/eatlas/default.aspx.
- Haematological Malignancy Research Network. Haematological malignancies & cancer registration in England (2004-2008). Quality appraisal comparing data from the National Cancer Data Repository (NCDR) with the population-based Haematological Malignancy Research Network (HMRN). Final Report. London: Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research; 2012.