Bladder cancer is the seventh most common cancer in the UK (2012), accounting for 3% of all new cases. In males, it is the fourth most common cancer (4% of all male cases), whilst it is the 13th most common cancer in females (2% of female cases).[1-4]
In 2012, there were 10,704 new cases of bladder cancer in the UK: 7,708 (72%) in men and 2,996 (28%) in women, giving a male:female ratio of around 25:10.[1-4] The
Bladder Cancer (C67), Number of New Cases, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Incidence Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2012
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||31.7||26.5||25.5||18.4||31.0|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||33.2||32.3||30.1||25.8||32.4|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||9.0||8.0||8.7||5.5||9.1|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||9.8||10.9||11.1||9.2||9.7|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||19.0||16.8||16.1||11.7||18.6|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||19.8||19.8||18.5||15.5||19.4|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
ASR calculated with ESP2013. Not comparable with ASRs calculated with ESP1976.
There was considerable geographical variation in bladder cancer incidence rates across the UK in the 1990s, with the highest rates within England being in Trent and the West Midlands, and the lowest in Eastern England. The latest analyses of bladder cancer incidence rates across the former cancer networks throughout the UK report significant variation, with higher than average rates within England in many parts of the north, and lower than average rates in parts of the south.[6,7] Geographical differences in bladder cancer registration may partly explain these incidence patterns.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, July 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/cancer-statistics-registrations--england--series-mb1-/index.html.
- Data were provided by ISD Scotland on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Cancer/Publications/index.asp.
- Data were provided by the Welsh Cancer Intelligence and Surveillance Unit on request, April 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page.cfm?orgid=242&pid=59080.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Cancer Registry on request, June 2014. Similar data can be found here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/nicr/.
- Quinn M, Wood H, Cooper N, Rowan S, eds. Cancer Atlas of the United Kingdom and Ireland 1991–2000. Studies on Medical and Population Subjects No. 68. London: ONS; 2005.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer Incidence and Mortality by Cancer Network, UK, 2005. London: NCIN; 2008.
- National Cancer Intelligence Network (NCIN). Cancer e-Atlas. Accessed January 2014.