In males, cancer is the most common cause of death in the UK as a whole (31% of all male deaths), and in the UK countries separately (31% in England and Wales, 30% in Scotland, 32% in Northern Ireland). In females, cancer is the most common cause of death in the UK as a whole (26% of all female deaths), and in England and Wales (25% of all female deaths) and Northern Ireland (28%), but it is the second most common cause of death in Scotland (26%).[1-3]
In 2014, there were 163,444 cancer deaths in the UK: 86,540 (53%) in males and 79,904 (47%) in females, giving a male:female ratio of around 11:10.[4-6] The
All Cancers (C00-C97), Number of Deaths, Crude and European Age-Standardised (AS) Mortality Rates per 100,000 Population, UK, 2014
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||332.3||342.4||376.5||329.2||337.9|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||337.2||362.4||393.2||358.0||342.4|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||227.4||237.9||267.1||238.4||232.8|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||231.0||252.7||279.3||259.7||236.1|
|AS Rate - 95% LCL||271.4||283.1||313.6||278.0||276.6|
|AS Rate - 95% UCL||274.3||295.1||323.6||295.2||279.3|
95% LCL and 95% UCL are the 95% lower and upper
- Office for National Statistics. Deaths registered in England and Wales: 2015. Available from https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/2015. Accessed July 2016.
- National Records of Scotland. 2015 Births, Deaths and Other Vital Events - Preliminary Annual Figures. Available from http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/general-publications/births-deaths-and-other-vital-events-preliminary-annual-figures/2015. Accessed July 2016.
- Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. Registrar General Northern Ireland Annual Report 2014. NISRA; Belfast: 2015.
- Data were provided by the Office for National Statistics on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregistrationsummarytables/previousReleases.
- Data were provided by the Information Services Division (ISD) Scotland on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/vital-events/vital-events-reference-tables.
- Data were provided by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency on request, November 2015. Similar data can be found here: http://www.nisra.gov.uk/demography/default.asp2.htm.