UKCRC Public Health Research Centres of Excellence
Why this partnership was created
In 2006, the major funders of public health research in the UK came together under the auspices of the UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) to develop ways to improve public health research.
The group's report – Strengthening Public Health Research in the UK – led to the commitment of more than £20 million to create five UKCRC Public Health Centres of Excellence.
These Centres are designed to build research capacity, increase infrastructure and promote multi-disciplinary working by bringing together leading research experts together with practitioners, policy makers and wider stakeholders to tackle complex public health issues.
The five UKCRC Public Health Research Centres of Excellence are:
- Centre for Diet and Activity Research (CEDAR) – Professor Nick Wareham, MRC Epidemiology Unit Cambridge
- Centre of Excellence for Public Health Northern Ireland – Professor Frank Kee, Queens University Belfast
- Centre for Development and Evaluation of Complex Interventions for Public Health (DECIPHer) – Professor Rona Campbell, Cardiff University
- Centre for Translational Research in Public Health (Fuse) – Professor Ashley Adamson, Newcastle University
- UK Centre for Tobacco Control and Alcohol Studies (UKCTAS) – Professor John Britton, University of Nottingham
The results of this partnership
In January 2013 an international scientific panel assessed the progress and impact made by the individual UKCRC Centres and reported that the initiative had been very successful in achieving its initial goals and was at the international forefront of integrating public health research, policy and practice.
The next stage
All five Centres are supported for a second five year term at a cost of £16m. The Medical Research Council manages the second phase of the initiative on behalf of the following funding consortium:
- Cancer Research UK
- British Heart Foundation
- Department of Health
- Economic and Social Research Council
- Medical Research Council
- National Institute for Social Care and Health Research (Welsh Assembly Government)
- Health and Social Care Research and Development (Public Health Agency, Northern Ireland)
- Wellcome Trust