The Farr Institute of Health Informatics Research
The Farr Institute of Health Informatics Research comprises four nodes distributed across the UK, led from the following institutions:
- University College London (Farr Institute @ London)
- University of Manchester (Farr Institute @ HeRC N8)
- Swansea University (Farr Institute @ CIPHER)
- University of Dundee (Farr Institute @ Scotland)
With a £17.5m research award from a 10-funder consortium, plus additional £20m capital funds from the Medical Research Council, the Farr Institute aims to deliver high-quality, cutting-edge research linking electronic health records with other forms of research and routinely collected data, as well as build critical mass and expertise in health informatics research.
The funders include:
- Cancer Research UK
- Arthritis Research UK
- British Heart Foundation
- Economic and Social Research Council
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- National Institute of Health Research
- National Institute for Social Care and Health Research (Welsh Assembly Government)
- Medical Research Council
- Chief Scientist Office (Scottish Government Health Directorates)
- Wellcome Trust
The Farr Institute aims to provide the physical and electronic infrastructure to facilitate collaboration across the four nodes, support their safe use of patient and research data for medical research, and enable partnerships by providing a physical structure to co-locate NHS organisations, industry, and other UK academic centres.
The Farr Institute is named after the British epidemiologist, William Farr (1807-83). One of the ‘founding fathers’ of medical statistics, Farr’s most significant contribution to public health was setting up a system that routinely recorded the causes of death. Such detailed statistics provided the raw data which allowed a far more detailed analysis of death within the general population.
In Pioneering Research, our annual research publication, we look at how we create mutually beneficial partnerships that support our own research objectives and those of our partners.