Health and Social Care Bill (2011)
The Future Forum
In April 2011, the Secretary of State of Health, Rt Hon Andrew Lansley MP announced that there would be a pause in the progress of the Health and Social Care Bill in Parliament. The pause in proceedings would act as a “conduit” to the government for policy concerns and issues relating to the Bill and advise Prime Minister David Cameron, Deputy Nick Clegg and Mr Lansley on changes to the legislation.
Professor Steve Field, the immediate past chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners will be leading the work of the Forum. The Forum will examine four areas the Government would like help with including:
- The role of choice and competition for improving quality
- How to ensure public accountability and patient involvement in the new system
- How new arrangements for education and training can support the modernisation process
- How advice from across a range of healthcare professions can improve patient care.
For more information please click on the links below:
Cancer Research UK prepared briefings for MPs ahead of the Second Reading and committee stage of the Health and Social Care Bill (2011). Please click on the links below to read our briefings.
- Cancer Research UK MP's briefing for the Second Reading of the Health and Social Care Bill (January 2011)
- Cancer Research UK written evidence to the Health & Social Care Bill Committee (February 2011)
- Cancer Research UK MP's briefing for the Third Reading of the Health and Social Care Bill (September 2011)
For more information please contact Laura Williams, Public Affairs Officer.
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team