Testicular cancer mortality statistics
The testicular cancer mortality statistics that are presented here include breakdowns by age and sex and trends over time.
The latest key messages and statistics for testicular cancer can be found in the Key Facts.
The latest mortality statistics available for testicular cancer in the UK are 2010. Please note that data in this section are for 2008 and that 2010 data are coming soon. Find out why more up to date statistics are not yet available.
In 2008 there were 70 deaths from testicular cancer in the UK; 59 in England, 2 in Wales, 8 in Scotland, and 1 in Northern Ireland.( Table 2.1) 1-3 The overall UK death rate age-standardised was 0.2 per 100,000.
Most of the deaths occurred between the ages of 30-49 years, although 15 deaths occurred in males under 30 years old. ( Figure 2.1). 1-3
Figure 2.2 shows the testicular cancer mortality trends from 1971 to 2008.
The introduction of platinum-based chemotherapy in the 1970s resulted in a dramatic fall in the death rate in the UK and other westernised countries.
Such falls in mortality following the introduction of effective treatment are seen in most developed countries, but not all at the same time, due to the inequitable distribution of resources and expertise between countries. 4
Mortality began to decline earlier in the USA than in the EU, and rates in Eastern Europe did not begin to decline until the late 1980s, resulting in the ‘avoidable’ deaths of several hundred young men each year. 5 The Japanese incidence and mortality rates are relatively low compared with the USA and Europe 6, but they also benefited from improved treatment: the mortality rate fell by 43% in Japanese testicular cancer patients aged 20-44 between 1975-79 and 1995-97. 7
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team
Visit our A-Z topic pages
- Office for National Statistics Mortality Statistics: Cause. England and Wales 2008 London TSO 2010
- Northern Ireland Cancer Registry, 2010, Cancer Mortality in Northern Ireland, 2008
- ISD Online, 2010, Cancer Mortality in Scotland, 2008
- Boyle, P., Testicular cancer: the challenge for cancer control. Lancet Oncol, 2004. 5(1): p. 56-61.
- Levi, F., et al., Testicular cancer mortality in Eastern Europe. Int J Cancer, 2003. 105(4): p. 574.
- Nakata, S., et al., Incidence of urogenital cancers in Gunma Prefecture, Japan: a 10-year summary. Int J Urol, 1998. 5(4): p. 364-9.
- Levi, F., et al., Western and eastern European trends in testicular cancer mortality. Lancet, 2001. 357(9271): p. 1853-4.