Statistics on the causes of cancer
Stats, info and publications
See our Key Stats for a summary of the main stats and information.
Download our publications about these statistics:
- All cancers combined Cancer Key Stats
- Preventable cancers poster (simple version)
- Preventable cancers poster (in-depth version)
- risk factors by cancer type
- our local cancer statistics tool for stats on lifestyle factors in areas across the UK
- general information on the links between lifestyle factors and cancer risk.
Preventable cancers statistics were calculated from incidence 2011 data.
Tobacco use statistics are for the UK, 2013.
Childhood smoking statistics are for England, 2012.
Alcohol drinking statistics are for Great Britain, 2012.
Overweight and obesity statistics are for England, Wales and Scotland, 2012 and Northern Ireland 2011-12.
See information and explanations on terminology used for statistics and reporting of cancer, and the methods used to calculate some of the statistics are also available
We would like to acknowledge the essential work of the cancer registries in the United Kingdom and Ireland Association of Cancer Registries, without which there would be no data.
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team