Where this prostate cancer information comes from
This page tells you about the major sources of information that we use to put together this section.
All our information is checked by cancer specialists and surgeons who specialise in treating cancer. The names of our specialist reviewers are at the end of this list. We also try to find patients to review all our sections. If you have had prostate cancer, live in the UK, and would like to become a patient reviewer, you can write to us by clicking on contact us.
Principles and practice of oncology (8th edition)
De Vita, V.T., Hellman, S. and Rosenberg S.A.
Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2008
Cancer and its management (6th edition)
Tobias J and Hochhauser D
Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2010
TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours (7th edition)
International Union Against Cancer
L.H. Sobin, M.K. Gospodarowicz, Ch. Wittekind
John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2009
AJCC Cancer Staging Manual (7th edition)
American Joint Committee on Cancer
Guidelines on prostate cancer
European Association of Urology, 2010
Link to the European Association of Urology guidelines
Guidelines for pain management
European Association of Oncology, 2010
Link to the EAO guidelines
MDT (multi-disciplinary team) guidance for managing prostate cancer (2nd edition)
British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS), November 2009
Link to the BAUS website
Prostate cancer: Diagnosis and treatment
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), February 2008.
Link to the NICE website
Guidelines on the management of metastatic prostate cancer
British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS), June 2005
Link to the BAUS website
Referral Guidelines for Suspected Cancer
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), June 2005
Link to the NICE referral guidelines.
- Focal therapy using high-intensity focused ultrasound for localised prostate cancer, 2012
- Prostate cancer (metastatic, castration resistant) – abiraterone (following cytoxic therapy), June 2012
- Cabazitaxel for the second line treatment of hormone refractory, metastatic prostate cancer, May 2012
- Management of lower urinary tract symptoms in men, May 2010
- Transperineal template biopsy of the prostate, October 2010
- Cryotherapy as primary treatment for prostate cancer, November 2005 – revised 2008
- High dose rate brachytherapy in combination with external beam radiotherapy for localised prostate cancer, May 2006
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, November 2006
- Docetaxel for the treatment of hormone refractory metastatic prostate cancer, June 2006
- Cryotherapy for recurrent prostate cancer, May 2005
- Low dose rate brachytherapy for prostate cancer, July 2005
- Abiraterone in combination with prednisolone for advanced hormone refractory prostate cancer for men who have had docetaxel based chemotherapy, Feb 2012, SMC No.764/12
- Cabazitaxel in combination with prednisolone for advanced hormone refractory prostate cancer, Nov 2011, SMC 735/11
- Denosumab for bone loss in men at risk of fractures who are taking hormone therapy for prostate cancer
- Degarelix for advanced hormone dependent prostate cancer, December 2010, SMC 560/09
Link to the SMC website
- Abiraterone for advanced prostate cancer which is growing after, or during, docetaxel chemotherapy, Feb 2012, Advice No: 6012
- Degarelix for advanced hormone-dependent prostate cancer, November 2012, Advice No: 4112
Radical Prostatectomy versus Observation for Localized Prostate Cancer. TJ. Wilt and others (2012). New England Journal of Medicine. vol. 367 no. 3. p203–213.
Low-dose rate brachytherapy for men with localized prostate cancer. Peinemann F, Grouven U, Hemkens LG, Bartel C, Borchers H, Pinkawa M, Heidenreich A, Sauerland S. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, Issue 7. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Current management of castrate-resistant prostate cancer. SJ Hote and F Saad. Current Oncology 2010 September: Supplement 2): S72–79.
A systematic review of the effectiveness of docetaxel and mitoxantrone for the treatment of metastatic hormone refractory prostate cancer. Collins, R., Trowman, R., Norman, G., Light, K., Birtle, A., Fenwick, E., Palmer, S. and Riemsma, R. (2006). British Journal of Cancer, 95, 457-462.
Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer: For Whom? Klotz, L. (2005) ''. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 23, (32), 8165-9.
Mr Peter Cooke MD FRCS (Urol), Consultant urological surgeon
Prof J Waxman, MBBS, MD FRCP, Professor of oncology
Dee McLean – MeDee Art, Medical Illustration
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team