Where this lung cancer information comes from
On this page are the major sources that we use to put together this section of Cancer Research UK's patient information.
All our information is checked by cancer specialists and surgeons who specialise in treating cancer. The names of our specialist reviewers are at the end of this list. We also try to find patients to review all our sections. If you have had lung cancer, live in the UK, and would like to become a patient reviewer, you can write to us by clicking on contact us.
Principles and practice of oncology (8 th edition)
De Vita, V.T., Hellman, S. and Rosenberg S.A.
Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2008
The diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), April, 2011
Link to the lung cancer guidelines on the NICE website
Guidelines on the Radical Management of Patients with Lung Cancer
British Thoracic Society and the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland, October 2010
Link to the guidelines on the British Thoracic Society website
Management of patients with lung cancer
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN), February 2005
Link to the SIGN website
Referral Guidelines for Suspected Cancer
The Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), June, 2005
Link to the referral guidelines on the NICE website
Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) Appraisals
- Lung cancer (non small cell, EGFR-TK mutation positive) – erlotinib (1st line), June 2012
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation for primary and secondary lung cancers, December 2010
- Pemetrexed as maintenance treatment for non small cell lung cancer, June 2010
- Gefitinib (Iressa) for treatment of non small cell lung cancer, July 2010
- Pemetrexed for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, September 2009
- Topotecan for the treatment of small cell lung cancer, November 2009
- Endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for mediastinal masses, February 2008
- Bevacizumab for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, June 2008
- Erlotinib for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, November 2008
- Pemetrexed for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, August 2007
- Photodynamic therapy for localised inoperable endobronchial cancer, November 2005
- Cryosurgery for malignant endobronchial obstruction, November 2005
- Photodynamic therapy for advanced bronchial carcinoma, August 2004
Scottish Medicines Consortium (SMC)
- Pemetrexed for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, SMC no.531/09, February 2010
- Pemetrexed as maintenance treatment for non small cell lung cancer, SMC no. 642/10, October 2010
- Gefitinib (Iressa) for locally advanced or metastatic non small cell lung cancer. SMC 615/10, December 2010
- Erlotinib (Tarceva) as maintenance treatment for advanced lung cancer. SMC 664/10, December 2010
- Erlotinib (Tarceva) as first line treatment for advanced non small cell lung cancer, SMC No. (749/11), December 2011
The revised TNM staging system for lung cancer. Rami-Porter et al. Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular surgery: vol 15; no 1, 2009.
Lung Adjuvant Cisplatin Evaluation: A Pooled Analysis by the LACE Collaborative Group. Jean-Pierre Pignon et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology: vol 26; no 21, July 2008.
The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: Proposals for the Revision of the TNM Stage Groupings in the Forthcoming (Seventh) Edition of the TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours. Goldstraw P et al. Journal of Thoracic Oncology: vol 2, no 8, August 2007.
Palliative radiotherapy regimens for non-small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Review. Lester JF, Macbeth F, Toy E, Coles B. 2006. In: The Cochrane Library, issue 4, 2006. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
Cranial irradiation for preventing brain metastases of small cell lung cancer in patients in complete remission. Cochrane Review. The Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation Overview Collaborative Group, 2000. In: The Cochrane Library, issue 2, 2004. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
Mr Eric Lim, Consultant thoracic surgeon
Dr David Gilligan, Consultant oncologist
Dr M Cullen, BSC MD FRCP (Consultant cancer specialist)
Mr Tom Haswell, Glasgow (Patient reviewer)
Dee McLean – McDee Art, Medical Illustration
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team