What to ask your doctor about breast cancer radiotherapy
Some questions you may want to ask your doctor
- Why are you recommending radiotherapy for me?
- What will the treatment involve and how long will it last?
- Which areas will be treated?
- Is the type of radiotherapy that changes the shape and strength of the radiotherapy beam (IMRT) suitable for me?
- Is the type of radiotherapy that uses frequent scans to check the position of the cancer (4 dimensional adaptive radiotherapy – 4D-ART) suitable for me?
- Where can I get these radiotherapy treatments?
- Are there any other treatment options?
- Will I have any side effects when I am having the treatment?
- What can I use to soothe my skin?
- Will I need to be off work for the whole course of treatment?
- Can I get help with travelling costs to and from the hospital?
- What are the long term side effects?
- What is the risk of me having long term side effects?
- Will having radiotherapy affect my chances of having breast reconstruction later?
- Is there a number I can ring if I'm worried about anything?
Rated 3 out of 5 based on 5 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team