What to ask your doctor about testing for cancer genes
- How do you do the test?
- Will I have counselling?
- Can you help me talk to my family?
- When will I get the results of the test?
- If you don’t find a faulty gene what does it mean?
- What happens if you find a faulty gene?
- What is my risk of developing cancer?
- Can I have screening?
- What does screening involve?
- How often will I be screened?
- How much will preventative treatment reduce my risk of developing cancer?
- What treatment is available?
- What does the treatment involve?
- What are the immediate and long term side effects?
- Can they be controlled?
- When should I have treatment?
- Will the treatment affect my fertility?
- Can I time any treatment so that I can have a family?
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team