Access useful toolkits and reading lists on the Economics of Tobacco Control.
Curbing the Epidemic: Governments and the Economics of Tobacco Control, Washington DC: The World Bank, 1999.
Frank Chaloupka and Ken Warner (1999) The economics of smoking. Working paper 7047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA: NBER.
Warner KE (2000). The economics of tobacco: myths and realities. Tobacco Control 9:78-89.
Tobacco Control in Developing Countries, edited by Prabhat Jha and Frank J. Chaloupka. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention on Tobacco Control: Effectiveness of Tax and Price Policies for Tobacco Control Volume 14. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer. 2011.
Chaloupka FJ, Yurekli A, Fong GT. Tobacco taxes as a tobacco control strategy. Tobacco Control. 2012 March; 21(2):172-80.
Kai Kaiser, Caryn Bredenkamp, and Roberto Iglesias. Sin Tax Reform in the Philippines Transforming Public Finance, Health, and Governance for More Inclusive Development. World Bank, 2016.
NCI Monograph 21: The Economics of Tobacco and Tobacco Control. (in press)
Evan Blecher and Corné Van Walbeek (2009) “Cigarette affordability trends: an update and some methodological comments.” Tobacco Control. 18: 167-175.
Evan Blecher (2010) “Targeting the affordability of cigarettes: a new benchmark for taxation in low-and-middle-income countries.” Tobacco Control. 19: 325-330.
Merriman D (2002). Cigarette smuggling does not reduce the public health benefits of cigarette taxes. Applied Economic Letters 9:493-496.
Luk Joossens, David Merriman, Hana Ross, Martin Raw. The impact of eliminating the global illicit cigarette trade on health and revenue. Addiction. Sep;105(9):1640-9. 2010.
Walbeek, Corne van, Evan Blecher, Anna Gilmore, and Hana Ross. Price and Tax Measures and Illicit Trade in the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control: What We Know and What Research Is Required. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 15, no. 4 (April 1, 2013): 767–776. doi:10.1093/ntr/nts170.
Michal Stoklosa and Hana Ross. Contrasting Academic and Tobacco Industry Estimates of Illicit Cigarette Trade: Evidence from Warsaw, Poland. Tobacco Control. Tob Control 2014; 23:e30-e34 Published Online First: 13 Aug 2013, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051099.
Hana Ross. Understanding and measuring tax avoidance and evasion: A methodological guide. Prepared for UCT Economics of Tobacco Control Project and UIC Institute for Health and Policy. Washington DC 2015. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.3420.0486.
Hana Ross and Jean Tesche. Undermining Government Tax Policies: Common strategies employed by the tobacco industry in response to increases in tobacco taxes. Prepared for UCT Economics of Tobacco Control Project and UIC Institute for Health and Policy. Washington DC 2015.
Understanding the U.S. illicit tobacco market: characteristics, policy context, and lessons from international experiences. National Academy of Sciences; 2015.
Evan Blecher, Hana Ross, Michal Stoklosa. Lessons learned from cigarette tax harmonization in the European Union. Tobacco Control 2014; 23:e12-e14 Published Online First: 13 Feb 2013, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2012-050728.
Chaloupka et al. Cigarette Excise Taxation: The Impact of Tax Structure on Prices, Tax Revenues, and Cigarette Smoking in the European Union. NBER Working Paper. October 20, 2014.
Chaloupka FJ, Kostova D, Shang C; on behalf of the GATS Collaborative Group. Cigarette excise tax structure and cigarette prices: evidence from the Global Adult Tobacco Survey and the U.S. National Adult Tobacco Survey. Nicotine Tob Res. 2014 Jan;16 Suppl 1:S3-9.
Shang C, Chaloupka FJ, Fong GT, Thompson M, O'Connor RJ. The association between tax structure and cigarette price variability: findings from the International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation (ITC) Project. Tob Control. 2015 Jul;24 Suppl 3:iii88-iii93.
WHO Technical Manual on Tobacco Tax Administration.
FCTC Article 6 Guidelines.
Corne van Walbeek. Do Tax Increases on Tobacco Hurt the Poor? The Economics of Tobacco Control in South Africa. 2002.
Jonathan Gruber and Botond Koszegi. A Modern Economic View of Tobacco Taxation. Paris: International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2008.
Önder Z, Yürekli AA. Who pays the most cigarette tax in Turkey. Tobacco Control, 2014.
Equity Issues, Tobacco, and the Poor. World Bank Tool # 6
- Warner KE, Fulton GA, Nicolas P, Grimes DR (1996). Employment implications of declining tobacco product sales for the regional economies of the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 275(16): 1241-1246.
- IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention on Tobacco Control: Evaluating the Effectiveness of Smoke-free Policies. Volume 13, Chapter 4: Impact of smoke-free policies on businesses, the hospitality sector, and other incidental outcomes. IARC, 2009.
- Van Walbeek, CP, 2010. A simulation model to predict the fiscal and public health impact of a change in cigarette excise taxes, Tobacco Control, 19(1): 31-36.
- Huang J and Chaloupka FJ. The economic impact of state cigarette taxes and smoke-free air policies on convenience stores. Tobacco Control 2013; 22:91–96.
- Wardie Leppan, Natacha Lecours and Daniel Buckles. Tobacco Control and Tobacco Farming. Separating Myth from Reality. IDRC. 2014.
- Mark Goodchild, Anne-Marie Perucic, Nigar Nargis. Modelling the impact of raising tobacco taxes on public health and finance. Bulletin of World Health Organization 2016; 94:250–257.
- Understand and Evaluate the Impact of Tobacco Control Policies on Employment. World Bank Tool # 5.
- James M. Lightwood, Alexis Dinno, Stanton A. Glantz. Effect of the California Tobacco Control Program on Personal Health Care Expenditures. PLoS Medicine 2008; 5(8): e178.
- James M. Lightwood, Stanton A. Glantz. Smoking Behavior and Healthcare Expenditure in the United States, 1992– 2009: Panel Data Estimates. PLoS Medicine 2016; 13(5): e1002020.
Angel Lopez Nicolas. How important are tobacco prices in the propensity to start and quit smoking? An analysis of smoking histories from the Spanish National Health Survey Health Economics. 11: 521–535 (2002).
Bo Zhang, Joanna Cohen, Roberta Ferrence, Jürgen Rehm. The Impact of Tobacco Tax Cuts on Smoking Initiation Among Canadian Young Adults. Am Journal of Preventive Medicine 2006;30(6).
Emmanuel Guindon. The impact of tobacco prices on smoking onset: a methodological review. Tobacco Control, 2013.
Hana Ross, Deliana Kostova, Michal Stoklosa, Maria Leon. The Impact of Cigarette Excise Taxes on Smoking Cessation Rates From 1994 to 2010 in Poland, Russia, and Ukraine. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, Volume 16, Supplement 1 (January 2014) S37–S43.
Deliana Kostova. A (nearly) global look at the dynamics of youth smoking initiation and cessation: the role of cigarette prices. Applied Economics, 45:28, 3943-3951, 2013.
Deliana Kostova, Frank J. Chaloupka, Ce Shang. A duration analysis of the role of cigarette prices on smoking initiation and cessation in developing countries. European Journal of Health Econonomics. 2014.
- Bobak M, Jha P, Nguyen S, Jarvis M (2000). "Poverty and Smoking." in Tobacco Control in Developing Countries, P Jha and FJ Chaloupka, editors. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Rijo M John, Hana Ross, and Evan Blecher. Tobacco expenditures and its implications for household resource allocation in Cambodia. Tobacco Control 2012;21 341-346.
- Pham Thi Hoang Anh, Le Thi Thu, Hana Ross, Nguyen Quynh Anh, Bui Ngoc Linh. Direct and Indirect Costs of Smoking in Vietnam. Tobacco Control 2016; 25:96-100. Published Online First: 15 Dec 2014, doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051821.
- Assessment of the Economic Costs of Smoking. WHO 2011.
- Tobacco Control in Developing Countries, edited by Prabhat Jha and Frank J. Chaloupka. Ch 14: The impact of trade liberalization on tobacco consumption. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Confronting the Tobacco Epidemic in a New Era of Trade and Investment Liberalization. WHO 2012.
- Deborah Gleeson, Sharon Friel Emerging threats to public health from regional trade agreements. Lancet 2013; 381: 1507–09.
- Nicholas H. Steneck. Responsible Advocacy In Science: Standards, Benefits, And Risks.
- Creating Evidence-Based Advocacy Fact Sheets. (This is an example that needs to be adopted to suit the needs of individual countries and issues at stake)
- Tobacco Taxes. A Win-Win-Win for Cash-Strapped States. Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids. February 10, 2010.
- Communicating Science
- We develop policy
- Our policy on preventing cancer
- Our policy on early diagnosis
- Our policy on access to cancer treatments
- Our policy on supporting science
- Our policy on cancer services
- Our policy on the charity sector
- We work with government
- Policy publications and research tenders
- Contact us
- Press office
- Cancer news
- Charity jobs
- Developing a career in research
- Events Assistant scheme
- Graduates and interns
- Health Professional Engagement Programme
- Join our Volunteer Fundraising team
- Our Technology and Change team is expanding!
- Our organisation
- Our promise
- Our year 2015/16
- The application process
- Cancer Strategy in England
- Become part of the Campaigns team
- Become part of the Digital Team