Choose a cracker of a gift this Christmas, with Send and Give from Cancer Research UK
Christmas may come just once a year, but if you are looking for gift ideas that will make an impact long after the decorations have come down, why not give one of Cancer Research UK's alternative gifts, and help beat cancer at the same time.
Whether it is originality you are seeking, or something meaningful for your loved ones, look no further than www.sendandgive.org, for a wide selection of alternative gift ideas. Whether you spend £15 or £100, you can be sure your gift will have an impact on Cancer Research UK's vital work.
It could not be easier to buy your gift online, saving you from the manic Christmas shopping on the high-street, and leaving you more time to celebrate the festivities. With a range of 20 unique gifts available to suit any budget, you are sure to find something for even the fussiest of friends.
Gifts that your money could go towards this Christmas include*:
The perfect stocking filler for under £20...
- 'Welcome Back!' booklets (donation of £15). Around 1,500 children in the UK develop cancer each year but, thanks to advances in treatment more than seven out of ten children with cancer are now successfully treated. These children need support as they adjust to life back at school and the ‘Welcome Back!’ booklet really helps teachers to give it.
Make a difference for less than £50...
- 'Dress a scientist' by providing essential items, such as lab coats, safety goggles and rubber gloves (donation of £25). Your gift will help make sure that Cancer Research UK scientists across the UK have the basics they need to do their job.
- A contribution to help fund clinical trials and drug development work. For example, Cancer Research UK is currently helping to fund a trial investigating a new way of treating prostate cancer (donation of £38).
- Or, why not support ground-breaking research in your area. For a donation of £40 you can help fund research in the following regions across the UK: London, Cambridge, Oxford, Leeds, Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Northern Ireland and Cardiff.
And for over £100...
- Every year, more than 4,400 women die from ovarian cancer in the UK. You could help fund one woman's participation in an ovarian cancer screening trial (donation of £100).
Once you have decided on your gift, you can choose between sending a card by email or in the post, which will tell the recipient about how the gift you have bought them will help Cancer Research UK continue its life-saving work.
If you've already bought your gift but would still like to support Cancer Research UK this Christmas, Send and Give also provides an eCards service. Creating a Christmas eCard is quick and easy - and you can send a festive message right up to the day itself. Simply choose from the selection of fun, contemporary and traditional designs, then customise to add the personal touch. In return, you can make a real difference by giving a donation to Cancer Research UK.
For more information, visit www.sendandgive.org.
For media enquiries, please contact the press office on 020 7061 8315 or, out of hours, the duty press officer on 07050 264 059.
Notes to Editor
- What a Gift Funds:
- All of our alternative gifts are vital to Cancer Research UK's ongoing research and are available within five specific gifting categories, these are: Laboratory running expenses, scientists and nurses' salaries, cancer information, clinical trials and drug development, and regional research.
- To allow the charity to spend donations as effectively as possible, and to respond to the changing needs of its scientists, doctors and nurses, donations will be spent on whatever is most needed within the area of work chosen.
- When you make a donation towards research in London, Cambridgeshire, Oxfordshire, Leeds, Southampton, Cardiff, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham or Northern Ireland, your money will fund research in these areas.
About Send and Give
- Send and Give offers a choice of 20 alternative gifts, with additional gifts to be added in October.
- A wide selection of Christmas eCards are available from www.sendandgive.org now, with further designs to be added nearer the time.
About Cancer Research UK
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to beat cancer.
- Cancer Research UK carries out world-class research to improve understanding of the disease and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer.
- Cancer Research UK ensures that its findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients.
- Cancer Research UK helps people to understand cancer, the progress that is being made and the choices each person can make.
- Cancer Research UK works in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer.
- For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7009 8820 or visit our homepage.