Questions for your doctor about treatment for prostate cancer
Some questions you may want to ask your doctor
- Is my cancer slow growing enough for monitoring (active surveillance), or should I have treatment straight away?
- What is my outlook (prognosis) without treatment?
- What type of treatment is best in my case?
- Why are you recommending this treatment?
- Is the aim of the treatment to cure the cancer, control it, or control symptoms?
- What are the side effects likely to be during the treatment?
- What are the possible long term side effects, after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years?
- How might the hormone therapy affect me emotionally?
- Are there any side effects that could be permanent?
- How are the side effects of radiotherapy and surgery different?
- Which treatment is least likely to cause difficulty getting an erection (impotence)?
- Which treatment is least likely to cause loss of bladder control (incontinence)?
- Do I have a choice of specialists or hospitals?
Rated 4 out of 5 based on 21 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team