What to ask your doctor about prostate cancer surgery
Some questions you may want to ask your doctor
- What kind of surgery are you suggesting?
- What is the aim of the surgery?
- Will the operation cure my cancer?
- How many of these operations do you carry out in a year?
- What are your results?
- What other choices of treatment do I have?
- Could I be treated with radiotherapy instead?
- Will I need any other treatment after surgery?
- Can I see a cancer specialist (oncologist) to talk about alternatives to surgery?
- Do I have a choice of specialists?
- is there anything I should do to prepare for my operation?
- What are the risks of having prostate surgery?
- Will I be in pain after the operation?
- What are the short and long term side effects of the operation?
- Will I lose my sex drive?
- Will I be able to have sex again?
- Will I lose control of my bladder after the operation and when should I expect to this to get better?
- Is there any risk that I might not get bladder control back?
- Can I speak to someone who's had this type of surgery?
- How often will I see you after my operation and what check ups will I have?
Rated 4 out of 5 based on 22 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team