Where this lung cancer information comes from
On this page are the major sources that we use to put together this section of Cancer Research UK's patient information.
All our information is checked by cancer specialists and surgeons who specialise in treating cancer. The names of our specialist reviewers are at the end of this list.
We try to find patients to review all our sections. If you have had lung cancer, live in the UK, and would like to become a patient reviewer, you can write to us by clicking on contact us.
Principles and practice of oncology (9th edition)
VT De Vita, S Hellman, and SA Rosenberg
Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2011
TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours (7th edition)
International Union Against Cancer
LH Sobin, MK Gospodarowicz, Ch Wittekind
John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2009
AJCC Cancer Staging Manual (7th edition)
American Joint Committee on Cancer
The diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), April, 2011
Link to the lung cancer guidelines on the NICE website
Guidelines on the Radical Management of Patients with Lung Cancer
British Thoracic Society and the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery in Great Britain and Ireland, October 2010
Link to the guidelines on the British Thoracic Society website
Management of patients with lung cancer
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN), February 2005
Link to the SIGN website
Referral Guidelines for Suspected Cancer
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), June, 2015
Link to the referral guidelines on the NICE website
Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Appraisals
- Afatinib for treating epidermal growth factor receptor mutation positive locally advanced or metastatic non small cell lung cancer, April 2014
- Microwave ablation for treating primary lung cancer and metastases in the lung, November 2013
- Crizotinib for previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer associated with an anaplastic lymphoma kinase fusion gene, September 2013
- Lung cancer (non small cell, EGFR-TK mutation positive) – erlotinib (1st line), June 2012
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation for primary and secondary lung cancers, December 2010
- Pemetrexed as maintenance treatment for non small cell lung cancer, June 2010
- Gefitinib (Iressa) for treatment of non small cell lung cancer, July 2010
- Pemetrexed for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, September 2009
- Topotecan for the treatment of small cell lung cancer, November 2009
- Endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for mediastinal masses, February 2008
- Bevacizumab for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, June 2008
- Erlotinib for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, November 2008
- Pemetrexed for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, August 2007
- Photodynamic therapy for localised inoperable endobronchial cancer, November 2005
- Cryosurgery for malignant endobronchial obstruction, November 2005
- Photodynamic therapy for advanced bronchial carcinoma, August 2004
Scottish Medicines Consortium (SMC)
- Treatment of adults with previously treated anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK)-positive advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), October 2013
- Erlotinib (Tarceva) as first line treatment for advanced non small cell lung cancer, SMC No. (749/11), December 2011
- Pemetrexed for the treatment of non small cell lung cancer, SMC no.531/09, February 2010
- Pemetrexed as maintenance treatment for non small cell lung cancer, SMC no. 642/10, October 2010
- Gefitinib (Iressa) for locally advanced or metastatic non small cell lung cancer. SMC 615/10, December 2010
- Erlotinib (Tarceva) as maintenance treatment for advanced lung cancer. SMC 664/10, December 2010
A systematic review of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of precancerous skin conditions, Barrett’s oesophagus and cancers of the biliary tract, brain, head and neck, lung, oesophagus and skin. D Fayter, M Corbett, M Heirs, D Fox and A Eastwood. Health Technology Assessment, 2010.
The revised TNM staging system for lung cancer. Rami-Porter et al. Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular surgery: vol 15; no 1, 2009.
Lung Adjuvant Cisplatin Evaluation: A Pooled Analysis by the LACE Collaborative Group. Jean-Pierre Pignon et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology: vol 26; no 21, July 2008.
The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: Proposals for the Revision of the TNM Stage Groupings in the Forthcoming (Seventh) Edition of the TNM Classification of Malignant Tumours. Goldstraw P et al. Journal of Thoracic Oncology: vol 2, no 8, August 2007.
Palliative radiotherapy regimens for non-small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Review. Lester JF, Macbeth F, Toy E, Coles B. 2006. In: The Cochrane Library, issue 4, 2006. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
Cranial irradiation for preventing brain metastases of small cell lung cancer in patients in complete remission. Cochrane Review. The Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation Overview Collaborative Group, 2000. In: The Cochrane Library, issue 2, 2004. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
Mr Eric Lim, Consultant thoracic surgeon
Dr David Gilligan, Consultant oncologist
Dr M Cullen, BSC MD FRCP (Consultant cancer specialist)
Mr Tom Haswell, Glasgow (Patient reviewer)
Dee McLean – MeDee Art, Medical Illustration
Rated 3 out of 5 based on 2 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team