What to ask your doctor about surgery for kidney cancer
Some questions you may want to ask your doctor
- Will I need surgery?
- What kind of operation will I need?
- What is the aim of the operation?
- Will I have my surgery done by a specialist urological surgery team?
- Will all of the cancer be taken out during the operation?
- Is it possible for me to have part of my kidney removed instead of all of it?
- Is it possible for me to have keyhole surgery (laparoscopic or robotic surgery)?
- How many of this type of operation do you do each year?
- What are the results?
- Is there any other choice of treatment?
- Will I have any pain after my operation?
- What are the short and long term side effects of the surgery?
- Are there any things I can do to help myself get better after my surgery?
- Will I need any other treatment after surgery?
- How often will I have to go for follow up appointments and how long will they go on for?
- What are the chances of my cancer coming back?
- What will happen if my cancer comes back?
- Is there a number I can ring if I am worried between appointments?
Rated 5 out of 5 based on 18 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team