What to ask your doctor about bowel cancer surgery
Some questions you may want to ask your doctor
- Why do I need an operation?
- Which type of operation should I have?
- What is the aim of the surgery?
- How many of these operations do you carry out each year?
- What are your results for this type of surgery?
- What other treatment choices do I have?
- What are the risks and benefits of surgery?
- What are the short and long term effects of the operation?
- Will I have to have a colostomy or ileostomy?
- Will my stoma be temporary or permanent?
- Do you know anyone who has had a colostomy or ileostomy who I could talk to?
- Who will help me manage my colostomy or ileostomy?
- Where should I get stoma equipment from?
- How should I prepare for the operation?
- How will you manage my pain after the operation?
- How long will it take me to get over the surgery?
- How often will I come back to the hospital after the surgery?
- Will the operation affect my sex life?
- Will I have to change my diet after the operation?
- Will I need any other treatment after surgery?
Rated 4 out of 5 based on 5 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team