Bowel cancer reading list
This page gives details of a selection of books and leaflets about bowel cancer, including anal cancer. There is information about
You can find a list of books about cancer, treatments, and living with cancer on our general reading list.
Bowel Cancer: The essential guide
Need-2-Know, No. 91 in series, 2013
An easy to read guide to bowel cancer. It includes information about lowering your risk, causes, tests, treatment and living with bowel cancer.
100 questions and answers about colorectal cancer
David Bub, Susannah Rose and Douglas Wong
Jones & Bartlett Publishers, 2007
A comprehensive book about all aspects of colorectal cancer. It is an American book so some aspects will not apply to the UK.
Your guide to bowel cancer
Hodder and Stoughton, 2007
An easy to read guide to bowel cancer, written by an expert bowel surgeon. The book explains the structure of the bowel, how bowel cancer develops and its symptoms. Patients and carers are led through different treatments, after-care and life after treatment.
Complete Guide to Colorectal Cancer
American Cancer Society, 2006
Comprehensive and clear information about colorectal cancer. Throughout the text, cancer survivors give details of their experiences. An American book so some information is not relevant to people in the UK.
Coping with bowel cancer
Sheldon Press, 2005
A very detailed factual book covering all aspects of bowel cancer. Also has case stories and a section about other bowel conditions. As the book is 6 years old some of the newer bowel cancer treatments are not covered.
Saving my arse (2nd edition)
Mark Davies, 2011
A personal story using male humour from Mark Davies who was diagnosed with bowel cancer at the age of 31. Some people may find it a little crude but others find it amusing. Discusses his diagnosis, treatment and the challenges of living with bowel cancer.
What's up with our dad? Medikidz explain colorectal cancer
Chilman-Blair K and deLoache S
American Cancer Society, 2013
An American illustrated book about bowel cancer aimed at children aged 10 to 16 years.
Preventing bowel cancer - spot your symptoms early
You can download a copy of the leaflet from the publications section of the Cancer Research UK website. Or you can ring our leaflet enquiry line on 020 3469 8333.
Booklets from the Colostomy Association
- About Rectal Discharge
- About Stoma Reversal
- An Introduction to Irrigation
- Caring for Colostomates
- Healthy Eating
- Living with a Colostomy: information for colostomates and their carers
- Travel Advice
- Sam has a Stoma
- Colonoscopy through the stoma
- One to one
- Pain and Discomfort
- How will a colostomy affect me?
They also have a number of different factsheets.
Booklets, leaflets, and CDs from Macmillan Cancer Support
- Understanding colon cancer
- Understanding bowel cancer screening
- Are you worried about bowel cancer?
- Understanding chemotherapy
- Understanding radiotherapy
- Managing the late effects of bowel cancer treatment
- Controlling cancer pain
- Controlling the symptoms of cancer
- Coping with advanced cancer
- Coping with hair loss
- Healthy eating and cancer
- Lost for words – how to talk to someone with cancer
- What to do after cancer treatment ends:10 top tips
- Life after cancer treatment
- Sexuality and cancer
- Talking about your cancer
- Talking to children and teenagers when an adult has cancer
- Understanding cancer research trials
- Quick guide to benefits and financial help
Booklets and factsheets from Beating Bowel Cancer
- Understanding bowel cancer
- Bowel cancer treatment: Your pathway
- Bowel cancer surgery: Your operation
- Advanced bowel cancer: Treating metastases
- Living with bowel cancer: Eating well
- Beyond bowel cancer: Living well
- Colonic Stenting
- Regaining bowel control
- Stoma reversal
- Targeted therapies and biomarkers
Booklets from Dansac ostomy suppliers
- Colostomy – hints and tips
- Ileostomy – hints and tips
- Body image after stoma surgery
- What about sex – for people with a stoma and their partners
Also has a range of booklets about changing stoma appliances, and travel advice for people with a stoma
- Colostomy/Ileostomy - Essential advice for before and after your operation
- Colostomy/Ileostomy - Things you need to know after your operation
- Colostomy/Ileostomy - Lifestyle
You can get the Coloplast booklets by phoning 0800 220 622.
Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team