Diet tips for preventing bowel cancer
This page has diet tips for reducing your risk of bowel cancer. It may help to prevent bowel cancer if you eat
- Less cured and processed meat such as bacon, sausages and ham
- Less red meat and more fish
- More fibre from cereals, beans, fruit and vegetables
- More fruit and vegetables
- Calcium rich foods, such as milk and yoghurt
Drinking less alcohol can also reduce the risk of bowel cancer.
A diet high in fat is generally thought of as unhealthy, but is not a particular risk factor for bowel cancer. For the sake of your general health, it is a good idea to cut down on fat, particularly animal fat. Try not to use too much fat or oil in cooking. Instead of frying, try steaming, braising or lightly grilling food instead.
Read more about diet and cancer, and healthy eating.
Rated 4 out of 5 based on 52 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team