What to ask your doctor about treatment for bile duct cancer
Here are some questions you might want to ask your doctor about bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma) treatment.
- What type of bile duct cancer do I have?
- What can you tell me about the stage of my cancer?
- What type of treatment do I need?
- If you are not sure about the stage, when will you know?
- How do you tell the stage of the cancer?
- Can you give me any written information about these treatments?
- Is there any choice of treatments?
- Can I see a surgeon who specialises in this type of surgery?
- Should I have any treatment before surgery?
- Should I have any other treatment after surgery?
- What are the risks and benefits of these treatments?
- What are the side effects?
- Is there anything that can help to control or reduce treatment side effects?
- Are there long term side effects?
- How often will I have to come to the hospital for treatment?
- Is any transport available?
- Is it possible to have help with the cost of fares to the hospital?
- How long will the treatment last?
- Can I have a second opinion?
- Are there any experimental treatments or trials that might help me?
- Is there a counsellor here I could talk things through with?
- How often will you see me when my treatment ends?
- What will happen at my follow up appointments?
- What should I do if I am worried between appointments?
- If I have pain, how can it be controlled?
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team