Travelling in the UK | Cancer Research UK
Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter

Travelling in the UK

Coping with cancer

This page is about travelling in the UK. There is information about


Planning your holiday in the UK

If you are going on holiday in the UK, you may not need to do anything special. Before you decide where and when to go, you may find it helpful to look at our page on how cancer and treatment can affect travelling. If you need to make any special arrangements, do plan ahead. Some things to think about are

  • How will you get to and from your holiday?
  • Do you need any equipment, such as bath aids or a commode?
  • What are your accommodation needs - do you need to be on the ground floor or have extra space around the bed?

There is help if you need it. For example, you can book help getting on and off the train with the train company, or a buggy to take you to the departure gate at the airport.

The Red Cross offer a transport service to help people keep their independence. They can arrange a car, driven by a volunteer, to take you to and from your holiday within the UK. They ask for a donation and the amount will depend on the length of the journey. Contact your local Red Cross for more information. The link above takes you to their website.

Other organisations, such as Tourism For All and Disability Rights UK have information about holiday accommodation that is suitable for older people or people with disabilities.


Care when you are away

If you are a UK citizen, and need any care or treatment while you are away, you can go to the nearest hospital and it will be free. Take a doctor’s letter with you, with all your medical details, in case you need any treatment. This will make it much easier for you, and for the staff at the hospital. 

If you will need a routine blood test or an injection for example while you are away, your medical team can arrange this with the nearest hospital before you go.

Some people find it helpful to carry a medical identity bracelet or necklace, which has your illness and an emergency number on it. There is information about this service in our general cancer organisations section.


Help with the cost of your holiday

You may be able to get help with the cost of your holiday. Some cancer charities offer financial help to cancer patients and their families. For example, Macmillan Cancer Support offer grants to people with cancer who have a low income.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) may have details of charities in your area that can help with holiday costs. The address and phone number of your local CAB should be in your local phone book.

There is more information in our financial support section about charity grants.

Rate this page:
Submit rating


Rated 4 out of 5 based on 4 votes
Rate this page
Rate this page for no comments box
Please enter feedback to continue submitting
Send feedback
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team

No Error

Updated: 8 July 2014