Motor insurance | Cancer Research UK
Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter

Motor insurance

Coping with cancer

This page tells you about your right to drive, and about the implications having cancer has on your driving licence and your motor insurance. There is information about


Cancer and driving

The fact that you have cancer does not in itself make any difference to getting or keeping a driving licence, if you have one already. But it is up to the Driver and Vehicle Licence Agency (DVLA), to take a view on whether you are medically fit to hold a licence. They can put restrictions on licences to take account of conditions which have an impact on your fitness to drive.

For illnesses that get gradually worse, or those that come and go, the DVLA can issue a time restricted licence. This will be valid for 1, 2 or 3 years. You can renew it after getting a medical report. This licence is still a full driving licence. So your insurance company won't be able to use your time restricted license as an excuse for putting your premiums up, increasing your excess or refusing you cover.

Insurers can still take account of DVLA restrictions on the type of vehicle you are licensed to drive and insure you to drive only in circumstances for which you have a valid driving licence. They can temporarily put the price up or increase your policy excess while you are getting used to a new disability or condition, as long as there is evidence that you are an increased risk during this period.

Insurance companies are able to charge more to reflect the increased cost of providing a service. If an individual vehicle has been specially adapted to meet your needs, the insurance company is able to increase their charges to offset the increased cost of any repairs that may be needed.

The AA advise that you have a duty of disclosure to your insurance company. This means you must tell your insurance company about any diagnosis as soon as possible. If you don't, you may have trouble making a claim later.


The DVLA and a cancer diagnosis

The DVLA have information about health conditions and driving on their website. 

If you have cancer and you have a car or motorcycle licence you only need to tell the DVLA if

  • you develop problems with the brain or nervous system
  • your doctor expresses concerns about your fitness to drive
  • you're restricted to certain types of vehicles or vehicles that have been adapted for you
  • your medication causes side effects likely to affect safe driving

You need to download form G1 – Confidential medical information

If you have cancer and have a bus, coach or lorry licence you must tell the DVLA using from C1V

You can download the forms from the Government's website section on cancer and driving.

If you do not tell the DVLA about a medical condition that affects your health you can be fined up to £1000. If you are involved in an accident, you may be prosecuted.


How to contact the DVLA about your health

You can contact the DVLA directly as follows:

Drivers Medical Enquires
SA99 1TU

Phone: 0300 790 6806 (if you are a car or motorcycle licence holder)
            Opening hours Mon-Fri 8.00am-5.30pm, and Sat 8.00am-1.00pm

You can email the DVLA by selecting one of the options on this page of their website. 

Or you can download the forms you need from GOV.UK


Rate this page:
Submit rating


Rated 4 out of 5 based on 9 votes
Rate this page
Rate this page for no comments box
Please enter feedback to continue submitting
Send feedback
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team

No Error

Updated: 21 July 2015