What to ask your doctor about fluid in the abdomen
Some suggestions for questions to ask your doctor about fluid on the abdomen (ascites).
- What is making the fluid build up?
- What can be done to help relieve the fluid build up?
- Can I do anything to help myself?
- Is the fluid building up because my cancer is getting worse?
- Is there any treatment I can have to stop the fluid building up?
- Will my cancer treatments make it worse?
- Are there any medicines that I can take to help?
- Are there any side effects of these drugs?
- Are there any foods I should avoid?
- How often can I have the fluid drained?
- Will the drain stay in?
- What are the benefits and risks of having the fluid drained?
- What will happen if I don’t have treatment?
- Who can support me at home?
Rated 5 out of 5 based on 21 votes
Question about cancer? Contact our information nurse team