Decorative image

Tests for stomach or bowel symptoms

You might have one or more of these tests to check whether a carcinoid tumour is causing your stomach or bowel symptoms. If you are diagnosed with carcinoid, you might have scans to find out the size of the tumour and if it has spread (the stage).


A colonoscopy looks at the whole of the inside of your large bowel.


An endoscopy is a test to look at the inside of your food pipe (oesophagus), stomach and part of your small bowel.

Endoscopic ultrasound

This test combines endoscopy with ultrasound scanning. Your doctor can see the inside of your food pipe (oesophagus) and stomach, as well as the outer layers of the gut and the area around it.

Capsule endoscopy

You might have this test if your doctor needs to look closely at the inside of your small bowel. You swallow a small camera inside a capsule. It takes pictures as it travels along your gut.

Barium x-ray

Barium is a liquid that shows up the outline of your organs when you have an x-ray. You might have this test to check part of your digestive system.

Last reviewed: 
02 Jul 2016

Information and help